Skunks are scavengers and will eat anything from bugs to garbage. If a skunk finds a tasty morsel on your land, chances are good that he’ll start visiting more often.
Eliminate skunk yummies to get rid of Skunks in Marmora NJ
Skunks can and do eat anything; bird eggs, larvae and bugs, human wastes, small rodents, you name it – they’ll eat it. Following is a list of the most common foods that attract skunks onto people’s property:
Store it in heavy duty metal or plastic trash cans with lids that will stay on even if the can is knocked over when you transfer your trash outside for pickup. Never place unprotected bags out on the curb.
Larvae and grubs
Skunks love grubs! Skunks are known for digging small holes in peoples yards as they hunt for them.
Nuts, berries, and fruitsFallen apple
, if you have bushes or trees that bear berries, nuts, or fruits you should periodically walk your yard and remove any that have fallen to the ground.. Skunks will happily feast on them, and so will rodents … which skunks will also happily eat.
* Easily accessible water sources.
* Large numbers of ground dwelling insects under dead leaves and foliage.
While the above food sources are the most common culprits that attract skunks, there are (of course) more. Do your best to minimize or eliminate them if any of these exist on your property.
Never leave unprotected animal food outside at night, it’s akin to setting a place at your dinner table for Pepé le Pew. Once who would leave table scraps and cat food out for neighborhood strays, I had a neighbor. She ended up with a family of skunks living on her property. Get rid of Skunks in Marmora NJ
* Compost heaps containing bones, fruit rinds and egg shells.
* Bird feeder spills.
Video: Skunk Removal in Marmora
Many folks swear by this or that for repelling skunks, but there seems to be little that delivers consistent results across the board. Here’s a list of the most effective repellents that we’ve been able to dig up. If you know of any not listed here, please add them with the ‘tips’ form at the bottom of this page.
* Automated sprinklers – Contech manufactures a device called ‘The Scarecrow’ which is essentially a sprinkler attached to a motion sensor that will spray any animals that wander into your yard.
* Spicy pepper solutions – Pepper sprays are reported to work well but must be reapplied every few days to remain effective to get rid of Skunks in Marmora NJ.
* Bright light – Skunks are nocturnal and prefer to stay hidden, flooding an area with light can be an effective deterrent. Use flood lights in combination with motion sensors.
* Commercial repellents – There are many available types, people have also reported success with commercial dog and cat repellents to get rid of Skunks in Marmora .